Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Ironman Arizona; kit list

A couple of people have asked so here it is, I think this is everything;

Dinner the night before;

  • Orecciette pasta from Green’s Vegan Restaurant in Tempe; “Grandmas’ favorite pasta (little earlobes) with your choice of mock meatballs in our homemade tomato sauce with fresh vegetables”

Breakfast the morning of;

  • Bowl of Granola – homemade but see this link for an idea, coconut milk
  • Coffee
  • Tea
  • Sipped on water
  • S!CAP

Race Kit;

Morning Clothes; over my Race Kit;

  • Orca Fleece
  • Adidas run leggings
  • Saucony Kinvara shoes (flip-flops are an accident waiting to happen)
  • Headtorch
  • Took my track pump to top up tires

Swim;

Bike;

image

Tre sexy, no?

Run;

Hydration/nutrition;

  • TT bottle had 20 ounces of water and 4 scoops Gu Roctane (approx. 1000 calories), goal was to drink this all on the bike primarily during the second half
  • Torhans bottle was filled with 30 ounces of water, goal drink one bottle an hour, I probably drank around 4.5 bottles in total
  • S!Caps, kept in a baggie and stuffed up my shorts leg, goal was to take one an hour every hour on the bike and run
  • Gu Roctance Gel/Bonk Bar these were handed out on the bike I grabbed 2-3 each hour and had one every 30 minutes
  • Power Bars I had one in my T1 bag and one in my Special Needs bag, I ate them both, I find them to be easier to chew than more “grainy” bars, but they are a bitch to unwrap!
  • Cliff Shot Bloks two packs of these in my T1 bag, less messy than gels
  • Note, the PowerBars and Shotblocks were pre opened, that is I cut the ends to make the unwrapping easier

Special Needs;

  • Bike; Power Bar, Single Serving of DZ Nuts, very welcome at mile 65, I should have put this in my T1 bag and applied earlier
  • Run; Long sleeve running shirt, gloves, spare Headsweats/Hammer Visor. I wasn’t sure how cold I would get and how annoying a sweaty visor would be

Not used;

  • My T2 bag also had a FuelBelt R20, this was not taken on the run

Should have packed;

  • BodyGlide, I “Glided” myself pre swim, (ankles, wrists, neck) could have done with some in T2 for the run
  • DZ Nuts into T1 bag for the start of the ride; prevention is better than a cure
  • There should have been a carton of coconut juice in each bag and spare S!Caps , these were forgotten and left in the hotel fridge in the morning…oops!

Looks like a lot right! Well it is kinda and I prided myself in keeping it simple! Pretty much everything was well used and practiced, the only exceptions to this were;

  • My helmet, it only arrived the week before and I had only ridden 30 minutes in it 2 days before the race
  • The Hutchinson Fast Air; never needed in training so never used!

Finally here is the race day video from Ironman.com, the swim looks way worse that it was or maybe I just got off lightly?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.