Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hobbling and Hacking!

So this week I started Week 1 of the transition to midfoot running following the plan laid out in the book. It started on February 2nd which threw me off a day as that was a Tuesday but no matter I thought. Day 1 was all about stretching and core strength, a solid work out that lasted about 30 minutes. Day 2; 3 sets of jump rope, running on the spot, high knees and butt kicks and here is where the plan was derailed I had forgotten to write down how long each set was…oops! I started with 5 minutes of jump rope, when was he last time I did jump rope oh probably 1974! I soon realized that 5 minutes of each would soon blow through my lunch break so I decided to drop down to 2 minutes each and a good job too. I finished up, stretched out and headed back to the office. Out of interest and for future reference I check the book on how long each interval should be; 20 seconds! oops I thought, oops indeed. The next morning my calves were singing a song, the day after that they were screaming!

The screaming continued through the week until I got I hit by the flu train, I crawled into bed at 7:30pm Friday night and crawled out Sunday afternoon…a couple more days and I should be ok to start week 1 again!

1 comment:

  1. Started the midfoot running attempt two years ago when I purchased some Newtons. Six months of very slow acclimatization led to such calf pain and tightness that I still wake up in a cold sweat when I think of it.
    I have since abandoned the still like-new Newtons and went back to my New Balances.
    You know what? The heals on my runners, now three pairs in a row, are pristine and unused...I successfully and without really trying to (after abandoning the Newtons)made the switch.
    Too bad I've now been introduced to Plantar Fasciitis.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.