Friday, August 3, 2007

It's official...my Doctor said so!

I have been suffering from a niggling ache in my right knee for weeks now, it really came to a head when I arrived back in Los Angeles from vacation, I thought it was due to the flying and pushing and pulling 200lbs of luggage around, but even after several visits to my Chiropractor, who is excellent, it was still showing no real sign of improvement. For a week I treated it with the runners best friend; RICE; (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) but to no avail. The final straw came during my run last Sunday (see the Nike Widget in the right column), where during the last few miles I had to stop and walk! Clearly something was not right. Anyway a visit to my GP, who is also excellent, confirmed it: I am officially broken!

Iliotibial Band Syndrome in both knees and hips and Patellofemoral Syndrome in my right knee, the latter also explains why driving and sitting with my feet on a footstool is really uncomfortable.

The good news is that it is all fixable. I have my first appointment with the Physical Therapist next Monday and also have a prescription referral to the Foot and Ankle Institute where I expect to be fitted with Orthotics.

In the meantime I have been told; no running!

So now I am mentally preparing myself for a DNS (Did Not Start) for the Bulldog 50k which is scheduled for later this month and quite probably not running the Long Beach Marathon in October.

Let’s see what Monday brings…

2 comments:

  1. Whaaaaaaa!!! I'm so upset!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SLB,

    Sorry to hear about your injury. It seems like a lot of us road warriors have been falling by the wayside. Your list if ailments was pretty long. It seemed like everything but your elbow ;) I've been suffering from similar problems, though thankfully, my IT band hasn't been a major factor. It seems that when one thing goes, pretty soon you have a chain reaction. The ART therapist I saw recommended that I work on core strength in addition to stretching my calves and hamstrings. Now I'm back to some of my 1980s aerobic workouts, but without the tights and leg warmers ;) I'm thinking of getting a rowing machine. It is a good aerobic workout, and it works the upper body, too.

    Good luck with your recovery!

    DD

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.